I was a child before. During some of it I was a child, too.
You were the line in the sand that separated adulthood for childhood. After
your absence became what separated the present from the past.
I was smaller, from nothing at all in the winter of 1984 to
5ft 1” when we eventually met in the spring of 1998. You were 13 years old when
I was born, and waiting for your life to start 100 miles up the M1. You were
what was missing from those first days in Essex.
I was waiting for you: not you specifically, but the
worldly, older boyfriend to come and rescue me from the humdrum. By the time I
did eventually meet you, I was only 12 but I felt like I had been waiting for
you since I was about four.
What there something wrong with me? I remember sitting in
assembly and watching with doe eyes my headmaster who was as old as my dad. Was
it because my dad himself was older, nearly forty when I was born? I asked
myself these questions and never arrived at an answer. All I knew was that you
were The One. How fortunate to meet The One at twelve years old. What could go
wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment