The winter, one year. I am dangerously young.
My mums
picking me up, I say as you walk in. I am reading Lolita. This
really was the book I was reading, that is not poetic licence. You walk into the hall, and I’m sat on the
stage.
Oi,
Mrs. Go home.
My
mum’s picking me up.
When?
Half
five.
I can’t leave you and I’m not staying til half past bloody five.
Get your coat on, where do you live?
At the
end of Cranham Road, Sir.
I’ll
walk you half way; it’s on the way to mine anyway. I
stammer,
No,
it’s okay, no problem, I’ll just walk.
Put
your coat on.
We walk out of the hall and your snap off the hall lights.
I’ll
probably get arrested you say, and not for the last time. Outside the
school it is pitch black now that the big lights in the hall are off and it’s
freezing. Our breath is visible and this is the most alone we’ve ever been.
So, how are you? You ask. How am I?
Walking home with the love of my life, I want to say. Fantasising about what
our children will look like, Sir. I think hard.
I’m alright, thanks Sir. I had a cold.
What about you? I watch your feet and you clomp across the gravel.
I’m okay, Laura. It seems we’ve
reached the end of our conversation now, with another ten minutes in front of
us. I think about what it would be like to kiss you, and realise my breathing
is now laboured, which is a bit of a problem when you can see it. Oh God, I fancy you. I don’t fancy anyone
else, I don’t fancy any of the boys I’m supposed to fancy, I don’t fancy the
boys that know Victorias brother, or the boys we meet down the ice rink. I
don’t fancy Leonardo DiCaprio or Michael Owen or any of the blokes on the
posters in my bedroom with soft jaw lines and no stubble. I fancy you with your
square shoulders and prickly face and long eyelashes. I fancy you with your
green eyes and short legs. Everything about you is wonderful. You make me feel
like the teenage girl I’m meant to feel like. I feel sick being in this close
proximity to you. I’m swinging my arms as I walk and my hand accidently touches
the cuff of your coat. I almost yelp in surprise at the jolt of electricity
that suddenly goes through me.
Sorry, sorry, didn’t mean that. But you don’t
laugh or act as though I’m funny or silly or whatever it is you’re meant to do.
You just pull your features tightly across the drum of your face and say you’re alright, love.
And that is the first time I realise that you might be
feeling this too.
No comments:
Post a Comment