By the time I was fucking poor, sad Ted- not his real name-
of course, I didn’t care who I was fucking. It was sex as self harm. Sex with
you though was a gateway drug: a gateway into adulthood, into maturity and
primarily into marriage. After all, who better to covet as a husband than
somebody who already is one, even if in fucking their 17 year old student,
they’re proving not to be very good at it.
Sex with you was like reading that Sylvia Plath poem Daddy
out loud: intense but fucking genius and always well over the top. You chucked
me around like a ragdoll and I begged for your forgiveness. I understood the
point of sex with you, you could see why they made it so compelling. You would
risk your life for it let alone a baby or six. I couldn’t even be bothered to
take my top off for poor, sad Ted. The first time we fucked- on his mothers
ancient sofa that had actual cotton thingamees on the back to keep them clean,
I didn’t take a single stitch of clothing off. He had to work around them, it
was my own personal challenge to him… that and breaking into my stony, black
heart. He once asked if I would take my bra off for him, and I said no- just
flatly refused. You would have taken it off yourself, I remember thinking. But
then that was the difference between you and him, and why he wanted to marry me
and you wanted to fuck me senseless four nights a week and go home to your
wife. You were a cunt and he wasn’t (although I knew who I would rather be
spending the nights with, truth be told).
I could keep this up, this poor, sad Ted nonsense, and he
deserves our pity to an extent. But he wasn’t wholly blameless in this. For a
start when we met- well, re met, I had known him when I was a kid- I was this
husk of a human. I was surviving, and that’s the right word, on booze, fags and
whatever drugs I could cadge off of my worldlier friends. I was barely eating.
I was a fucking mess. Also, I tried not to go out with him. I used the excuse
that I was writing my dissertation for so long that it was borderline
embarrassing. Newsflash dickhead, I’m taking speed with some lad I just met on
the bus yeah, I’m not actually footnoting some shit about the Brontes. The
dissertation excuse wasn’t entirely a fiction, I was doing an English degree
(when I wasn’t busy fucking everything up) and I was writing my dissertation on
the Brontes, but the way I was painting it I could have written Wuthering
Heights three times in the time it apparently took me. So yeah, he was
pretending not to see a lot of stuff. Also, I was still fucking Matt a bit- not
like I had been and not with the intense sadness of before- but I was open that
I was seeing him. Poor, sad Ted only saw that as a challenge.
What I should never have done was met him at Pizza Express
that night. It was just because I couldn’t spin the dissertation excuse
anymore, and anyway I thought he might buy me wine. I was right too, he did. A
bottle and a half later and I literally remember thinking “Ah fuck it, might as
well.” Next thing I knew, I was fully clothed on that dreadful sofa getting
pounded by England’s worst shag. Sometime later he told me that he was
embarrassed to have shot his load too soon. Least of your worries, pal. I was
fucking dead inside.
So yeah, some people self harm by cutting themselves with
glass or bits of broken mirror, some people take heroin. I self harmed by
nearly marrying poor, sad Ted.
No comments:
Post a Comment